Forum Controllers/PLC

Welcome!

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Share and discuss the best content and new marketing ideas, build your professional profile and become a better marketer together.

Stepper Motor

Pedrani

Hi.
I need to control 6 stepper motors, pto (Pulse Train output) with Mduino 20Plus. Is there a library to do this?
Second question, is it possible to drive it with digital outputs?
I read that the maximum frequency is 4Khz, is that correct?

Thanks to all.

Discard
4 Answers
Marti Guillem Cura
Best Answer

HI,

In order to control 6 stepper motors using only an M-Duino 21+ is not possible as each motor need to use 3 pwm digital outputs. If you want to implement this you will need at least 3 M-Duino 42+ PLCs.

In the following blog, there is a full explanation of how to implement and use the stepper motors using our Industrial Shields PLCs and a code example for programming them.

As you have read, the maxium frequency for the digital outputs is 4 KHz.

2 Comments
Discard
Pedrani
-

Thank you very much

Nathaniel Bergeron
-

Hi Marti, I know this is an old comment but have a follow up question. In the linked blog post, it states that you should use Q0.0/1/2 as the outputs to drive the stepper drive. It explicity states you should not use the PWM outputs Q0.5/6/7. This doesn't jive with your statement above. If I want to select an M-Duino to drive a stepper motor, should I plan to use the PWM outputs or the regular outputs?

Edu B.
Best Answer

Hi, 

Can't I use "normal" (not PWM) outputs to send pulses to a stepper driver (with clock/direction inputs)?

I don't expect needing to send more than 1kHz (800Hz should be enough).

I used the library AccelStepper with an Arduino Mega Board (not integrated as PLC) and It worked quite well.

Discard
Pedrani
Best Answer

Thank you very much

Discard